Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Cost Cutting versus Optimization ?

What are ‘enterprise assets’? They are all the resources and activities that make it possible to set up and run a business. They include not just tangible assets – capital, buildings, equipment, vehicles, and so on – but also what are called ‘intangible assets’: the business’ brand identity and processes, and the know-how of those who run it. The job of managers is to manage all of these enterprise assets – not just the material resources – so that the business can deliver sustainable and growing profits to its shareholders. 

When the supply and demand in the enterprise starts to unravel, typically from the demand perspective, managers pull out the only tool they know - "cost cutting" ! In the current state of world economic affairs we see it everywhere.

Business school students hate the portions of Operations Research they encounter during their studies, but it contains a hidden gem - "Optimization".

From a managerial perspective optimization is the approach one follows to get more out of less  -but without resorting to cost cutting - i.e. staff retrenchments.

So it is a clever way of moving resources around until an optimal configuration is achieved. We typically see 10% improvements, but the figure below is one we frequently encounter - 90% improvements. And this is without any losses in people or expensive restructuring exercises.




Using a "business Controller" we predicted and optimised the stock levels in this company and as a result, reduced the average stock holding by 90%! The return on this investment was less than 6 months !


3 comments:

  1. I wish you could teach this to the CEO of Age Technologies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Le_Meridian Funding Service went above and beyond their requirements to assist me with my loan which i used expand my pharmacy business,They were friendly, professional, and absolute gems to work with.I will recommend anyone looking for loan to contact. Email..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or lfdsloans@outlook.com.
    WhatsApp ... + 19893943740.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts